Moated Castle Taufkirchen/Vils

Show image gallery

The project task was the planning and implementation of repair and conversion measures in several sections at Taufkirchen moated castle. The first phase included the construction of a new toilet facility, the conversion of the gastronomic area and the replacement of both elevators. Individual rooms are renovated and the ceilings are statically reinforced. In a further section, an additional footbridge will be built over the castle pond, which will also serve as a second escape route in the event of fire.

A brief history

The listed moated castle is located in Taufkirchen on the Vils/ district of Erding. The castle was first mentioned in a document in 1236 and has since then had an ever changing architectural history. It had different lords of the castle – the Fuggers maintained the castle from 1544 to 1672, for example – and underwent various phases of extension and alteration.
From the 1920s onwards, the castle served as a state welfare institution and later as a district hospital until 1970. Since the 1990s, the building and its outdoor facilities have been used as a location for events. In the 2000s, the castle was sold to a privateer who had started extensive restoration and reconstruction work until his death in 2010, however, these were not completed. After that, the future of the castle was uncertain until the community of Taufkirchen bought the property back in 2016.

Structure and organisation of the castle

The moated castle was built around 1676 on a medieval basis and consists of a three-floored main building with a castle chapel, corner towers, tail gables and flanking pavilions. At its core is the castle from the 16th/17th century, in 1898 there was a reconstruction in neo-renaissance styles (source: list of monuments, as of April 2017). It can be assumed that the castle consists mainly of solid brick masonry. Newer parts were partly completed in reinforced concrete construction. The castle bridge over the castle moat is in its core before 1800.

Reconstruction and conversion measures

In the course of the project, the castle complex was again extensively inspected, after which a catalogue of measures was drawn up that is in conformance with the protection of historical monuments. On this basis, individual measures were prioritised and combined into packages of measures. An excerpt:
• Construction of a public toilet facility in previously unused, easily accessible rooms on the ground floor of the central building.
• Construction of a full-service restaurant on the ground floor of the east wing with separate ventilation systems for the Fugger Hall and the kitchen itself; the existing toilet facility was removed and extensive work was carried out in the basement, where a large part of the building technology is accommodated.
• Replacement of the two elevators and renewal of the SHEV systems in the stairwells
• renovation and/or replacement of windows and external doors in the affected areas
• Construction of a staircase which, in connection with a new bridge over the castle pond, ensures the second escape route from the south bank of the island and at the same time provides a better connection of the castle to the town centre.
• renovation of the foundations of some external walls in connection with the renewal of the terrace covering
• Renovation and/or replacement of additional exterior doors
• Static improvement of the cellar below the bay window
• Construction of a simple tenant apartment in the attic floor